University of California, Davis
Recruitment Open To:
UCD/UCDHS Employees and General Public
Final Filing Date
Open Until Filled
SMALL ANIMAL WARD TECHNICIAN
ANIMAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN III
Number of Positions:
$22.65 - $34.26/HR
60% Variable, Sat and Sun 7:30pm-8:00am with an additional 1-2 shifts per week on call or on duty.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit
VET MED TEACHING HOSPITAL - 072105
The Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital (VMTH) is a unit that provides clinical case material in support of the teaching programs throughout the School of Veterinary Medicine on a 24-hour basis. Its primary objectives are to train professional (veterinary) students, graduate clinical students (interns and residents), and graduate academic students; to provide veterinary services to the public; to serve as a referral center for practicing veterinarians, and to advance veterinary medical knowledge.
Allow Applicants to Attach:
References Position Details
Under direction of the shift Small Animal Patient Care Supervisor, independently provide paraveterinary technical support to the Small Animal Clinic Veterinarians. On a daily basis, responsible for the treatment of patients, blood bank support, student instruction, clinician support and facility support.
- Maneuver/lift equipment and materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Handle animals weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Contact with animals, including restraint of animals (sometimes fractious) as required.
- May be required to wear protective clothing for extended periods of time including: gown, coveralls, gloves, masks, face shields, goggles, sleeves and head covers.
-Work standing and kneeling for 8-10 hour shifts. Work Environment:
- This position is subject to Medical Surveillance procedures and review in accordance with Federal and State Laws and Regulations and University Policy.
- May require working with or around areas with sick animals, hazardous materials, and/or infectious diseases, and distraught clients.
- Valid CA driver's license required.
- Occasional overtime; work variable hours/days on short notice or on-call including holidays, swing, graveyard or day shifts Sunday to Saturday and availability to work 8 or 10 hour shifts.
- Fill in during week as needed.
- Work in an environment with exposure to radioactivity, anesthesia gases & carcinogenic medicines.
- Work in high traffic areas that include noise from animals and people.
- Work in an environment with animal odors.
- Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space. Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks. Yes
-Skill to independently provide intense moment to moment monitoring and reassessment of emergent, critically ill patients with life-threatening illness or injury, whose conditions are likely to change on a moment-to-moment basis.
- Experience working in a Small Animal Hospital as a veterinary technician.
- Experience performing paraveterinary duties per clinician's orders.
- Experience administering medication and fluids orally, SQ injection, IM injection, IV injection, 10, IC.
- Skill to instruct and evaluate students written and verbally.
- Experience using medical terminology and disease processes in small animals.
- Experience using medical terminology.
- Skill to perform blood bank protocols.
- Experience with cystocentesis with canine and feline patients.
- Knowledge of standard dietary requirements for cats and dogs, and appropriate feeding methods.
- Knowledge of basic math necessary to calculate prescription dosages. Preferred Qualifications:
- Current California Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) license.
- Oral & written communication skills to understand, and interpersonal skills to work with a diverse group of people to include clients, clinicians, students and staff.
- Experience catheterizing blood vessels and urinary track.
-Experience collecting blood urine, bodily fluids, etc. and perform laboratory tests.
- Experience performing a wide variety of treatments, monitoring and diagnostic protocols.
- Experience in aseptic nursing and sterile techniques.
- Experience in emergency critical care medicine. Quick Link To This Position:
Questions/Comments | UC Davis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Privacy and Accessibility | Annual Campus Security Report
University of California, Davis
Website : http://www.ucdavis.edu
Welcome to UC Davis! Visit us to see what makes this campus special. Located in Davis on the largest University of California campus, we are known for our commitment to sustainability, standout academics and unmatched school spirit.