Laboratory Animal Clinical Veterinarian
Laboratory Animal Clinical Veterinarian
MD - Frederick
Laulima Government Solutions is looking for a qualified Laboratory Animal Clinical Veterinarian to support a DoD customer on their Veterinary Medicine program in Frederick, MD.
· Assist military veterinarians in providing clinical medicine services for laboratory animals, to include but not limited to non-human primates, rodents, rabbits and large animal species.
· Clinical medicine services include routine physical examinations and evaluation, and diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and injuries. as requested by the customer to meet mission requirements.
· Perform surgical procedures as required for treatment of research animal illnesses or injuries and in support of research protocols.
· Provide clinical oversight of veterinary technicians to ensure proper clinical procedures are followed.
· Perform/assist with imaging procedures such as radiography and ultrasound.
· Provide instructions to veterinary technicians and animal caretakers for any required treatments or other follow-up procedures or observations.
· Document clinical and surgical procedures in animal medical records and surgery log books using provided forms.
· Document medical evaluations and treatments in animal medical records in the Subjective-Objective-Assessment-Plan (SOAP) format using provided forms.
· As required by specific animal research protocols, documentation shall be performed to standards required by the Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations.
· Immediately notify the customer or designated representative of any treatment, diagnostic, or surgery failures so follow-up actions can be initiated.
· Operate medical and research equipment to protect laboratory personnel and other animals from infection by organisms and handling animals by appropriate procedures to protect coworkers from bites and scratches.
· Monitor certification/maintenance dates on medical equipment and notify the customer and Medical Maintenance personnel in a timely fashion of certifications that are coming due.
· Provide training to personnel as requested by the customer or designated representative. Some areas of instruction may include but are not limited to physical examination and observation of animals, collection of various biosamples, safe work practices, and procedures and topics of interest in the animal research environment.
· Notify the customer and veterinary personnel assigned to clinical sections of medical supply and instrument needs.
· Complete all trainings as required to perform tasks. This includes, but is not limited to, IACUC’s requirement to successfully complete AALAS learning library, species specific 101s, and GLP training. Shall participate in all training requirements related to the relocation and operation to a new building.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
· Requires a minimum of 5 years’ experience in Veterinary clinical medicine, primarily with small animal expertise, at the time of hire
· Laboratory Animal Clinical Veterinarian experience, providing clinical and research support at various levels of biocontainment, including animal biosafety levels (ABSL) - 2, 3, and 4
· Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Ability to work a 24/7 coverage, evenings/nights, and/or weekends
· Ability to travel (maximum of 1 trips/year) to local (75 mile radius with no overnight stay) research facilities to observe and learn surgical techniques or develop novel clinical approaches to facilitate animal care at the customer base.
· Federal and/or DoD experience in a laboratory facility is preferred
· Experience in an animal research environment is preferred
· Knowledge and familiarity with Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) protocols
· Requires a current, valid US state Veterinary license. Requires a DVM or equivalent. If the Veterinary degree was received through a non-accredited school, an Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) is required
CITIZENSHIP/SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:
· Must be a U.S. Citizen
· Must successfully complete a T3 Investigation and obtain and maintain a favorable Department of Health and Human Services Security Risk Assessment (SRA). All background investigation forms must be submitted, and the background investigation initiated prior to the first day of work. Fingerprint checks must also be completed prior to the first day of work. Background investigation must be favorably adjudicated for Secret eligibility.
The Alakaina Foundation Family of Companies (FOCs) is comprised of industry-recognized government service firms who are designated as Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO)-Owned and fall into the respective categories of standard Small Business, 8(a) certified Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB), and HUBZone. The FOCs includes Keaki Technologies, Laulima Government Solutions, Kūpono Government Services, Kāpili Services, and Pookela Solutions. Alakaina Foundation activities under the 501(c)3 principally benefit the youth of Hawaii through charitable efforts which includes providing innovative educational programs that combine leadership, science & technology, and environmental stewardship.
For additional information on Laulima Government Solutions, LLC, please visit ****We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of individuals with disabilities and veterans. We are proud to state that we do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. If you are a person with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process, please click here to request accommodation. We E-Verify all employees.